Friday, November 19, 2010

Easy Bias-Bound Finish for a Neckhole

Here's a tutorial for those of you who wish to reinvent the way you finish a round neckline for a garment. I have been a happier person since I started using this method for finishing my round necklines. No zippers, no buttons, no fuss!

This finish is for a simple round neckline that slips on over the head. I use the same method for child or adult, but I will give you the measurements I use for myself.
Here are my front and back necklines. Front is cut on the fold, back is cut with a seam. I use 3/8" seams. Now cut your bias strip for the binding 2 inches wide by 23.5 inches long, on the bias.
Stitch the ends together and fold the loop in half lengthwise. Press.
Find the centers and pin the binding onto the neckline on the wrong side of the fabric. (Quilters will understand why.) Sew around using 1/4 inch seam.
Clip seam. Now, fold the binding over and pin it down on the right side of the fabric. Sew the binding down right on the edge.
Press it and you're done! 
Notes: If you're not sure what length of bias binding to start with, do not sew the loop shut. Instead, start sewing it on in the back, and when you have sewn almost around, cut it off to the right length. Sew the binding shut, and then finish sewing it on. 
Remember the neckhole needs to be big enough to pull over the head. You will need to cut your pattern out at least a seam width. When using this method, the raw edge does not get turned under as when you sew on a facing; the raw edge just gets covered with a binding.

2 comments:

  1. Oh did I find the right blog! I soooo want to learn to sew clothing. I want to 'upcycle' some of my favorite tops. Like your blog muchly. ; )
    ~Monika in Saskatoon
    quilter / fibre artist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Trish! I will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete